Clinical Correlations Final Reflection

Clinical Correlations has assisted in sharpening my differential diagnoses, ordering appropriate bloodwork, reaching the appropriate diagnosis, and providing the best treatment. In the first Clinical correlation session, I had difficulties connecting symptoms to diagnosis. I found it challenging to not get stuck on one diagnosis and keep my differentials broad. In the beginning, if the patient had a cough, sore throat, malaise/fatigue, and fever, I would immediately focus on the patient having a streptococcal infection but now I am able to formulate a differential list that includes Otitis media, Otitis externa, flu, and COVID. I found Uptodate to be the most useful in finding relationships between symptoms and the latest Prescription dosages. Also, applications such as USPSTF and MDCalc to be very useful. MDCalc was useful in processing algorithms, calculations and assessing risk. USPSTF is effective in screening requirements. I will continue to use Uptodate, USPTF and MDCalc during the Clinical year. Going into Clinical rotations, I want to continue working on having a broad differential and ordering the appropriate examinations to find the diagnosis.